Report: McDonnells recieved $145,000 from donor
Gov. Bob McDonnell
Richmond, Va. – There are new allegations that Star Scientific CEO Jonnie Williams gave Gov. Bob McDonnell’s real estate company $70,000 last year.
The Washington Post reports that the money was not disclosed as a gift or a loan, and cited “people with knowledge of the payments.”
These allegations would bring the total of funds from Williams to $145,000.
A $50,000 check was given to Maureen McDonnell in 2011. A $10,000 check was presented to the McDonnell’s eldest daughter Jeanine, for wedding costs in 2013. The first family was also under scrutiny for accepting $15,000 from Williams to pay for catering at Cailin’s 2011 wedding.
The Post reports that people familiar with the transaction say that the governor viewed the payments as loans, not gifts, to his real estate venture. State law requires that elected official disclose their personal loans but not loans made to their corporate interests.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time
- Elizabeth City's "Operation Double Down" cracks down on illegal drug sales