Report: McDonnells recieved $145,000 from donor
Gov. Bob McDonnell
Richmond, Va. – There are new allegations that Star Scientific CEO Jonnie Williams gave Gov. Bob McDonnell’s real estate company $70,000 last year.
The Washington Post reports that the money was not disclosed as a gift or a loan, and cited “people with knowledge of the payments.”
These allegations would bring the total of funds from Williams to $145,000.
A $50,000 check was given to Maureen McDonnell in 2011. A $10,000 check was presented to the McDonnell’s eldest daughter Jeanine, for wedding costs in 2013. The first family was also under scrutiny for accepting $15,000 from Williams to pay for catering at Cailin’s 2011 wedding.
The Post reports that people familiar with the transaction say that the governor viewed the payments as loans, not gifts, to his real estate venture. State law requires that elected official disclose their personal loans but not loans made to their corporate interests.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations