Reports: Shoeless man in viral photo may not have been homeless
A New York tourist shot a picture of a New York officer helping a man sitting on the street.
The officer bought him a pair of winter boots and almost instantly became “the Samaritan’s Samaritan.”
Now, New York homeless services officials say they know the man in that picture and he’s actually been living rent-free in an apartment since last year.
They told CBS news he’s a vet and gets several different types of federal funds, but he doesn’t take advantage of the case management services that they offer.
They hope this doesn’t discourage people from helping those in need.
The people they serve still need a range of services, not just housing.
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time
- Father and son among three arrested in Kitty Hawk drug investigation
- Family, friends gather to remember two girls killed in Ahoskie fire; two others injured
- South Carolina mother drives van filled with kids into ocean