Reports: Shoeless man in viral photo may not have been homeless
A New York tourist shot a picture of a New York officer helping a man sitting on the street.
The officer bought him a pair of winter boots and almost instantly became “the Samaritan’s Samaritan.”
Now, New York homeless services officials say they know the man in that picture and he’s actually been living rent-free in an apartment since last year.
They told CBS news he’s a vet and gets several different types of federal funds, but he doesn’t take advantage of the case management services that they offer.
They hope this doesn’t discourage people from helping those in need.
The people they serve still need a range of services, not just housing.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Man wants ‘murder’ tattoo removed from neck before trial
- Victim's family angry after killer gets unsupervised leave