PASQUOTANK COUNTY, N.C. - Prosecutors in North Carolina told a judge Wednesday that they intend to seek the death penalty for four inmates involved in a deadly attempted prison escape in Pasquotank County.
Mikel Brady, 28, Wisezah Buckman, 29, Seth J. Frazier, 33, and Jonathan M. Monk, 30, each face the following charges:
- Four counts of first degree murder
- Five counts of assault with a deadly weapon
- One count of felony riot
- One count of burning a building
- One count of attempted escape from prison
- One misdemeanor count of assault with a deadly weapon
They're also facing charges of felony riot and burning a public building.
The incident occurred Thursday, October 12 around 3 p.m. when officials say inmates started a fire around 3 p.m. in the facility's Specialty Sewing Plant, where about 30 inmates work producing embroidered logo items, safety vests and other sewn items. After the fire was set, several inmates unsuccessfully attempted to escape.
The next court hearing in this case is scheduled for March 1.