Cheerios brings back famous interracial family for Super Bowl ad
The interracial family that won the hearts of millions in a Cheerios ad – and sparked many racist comments on YouTube – will be back for the Super Bowl. The mother, father and cute daughter will appear in another 30-second ad during the game, with a ‘clever, knowing nod to the earlier controversy’ according to Adweek.
The initial ad has been viewed nearly 5 million times on YouTube, and Cheerios won many fans after it was forced to turn off commenting on the clip due to racist posts.
It’s hard to imagine Cheerios handling a sequel any more deftly than this. It obliquely references the earlier controversy, but by embracing a simpler story that has nothing to do with it, it suggests the controversy was dumb to begin with—that this is just America now, and families like this are just like everyone else, with better things to worry about.
Read more at Adweek
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- UPDATE: Crews free stuck cargo ship