Video: One dead, 11 hospitalized in Virginia Beach school bus crash
Virginia Beach, Va. – One man is dead, and nearly a dozen Virginia Beach students taken to the hospital after a crash at the Holland Road and South Independence Blvd. intersection.
Around 6:45 a.m. Tuesday morning, Beach police say bus #66 and the car collided.
The driver of the green car died after being thrown out, then hit by the bus.
“The small car that’s under the bus was over here by the police van, it had broken down with no hazards ons, no hazard lights, the bus was coming from that way and hit him,” says Chris Steagall, who stopped at the scene.
Thirty-four students were on the bus heading to Bayside Health and Science Academy – according to school officials.
Eleven were taken to nearby hospitals – most complaining of headaches.
But officers say all of the students are going to be okay – including the school bus driver.
Several folks that stopped at the scene say even though one man was killed – it could have been much worse.
“The bus could have landed on its side or who knows, let’s not say the worst, let’s just pray for the person who died, the bus driver, and those kids, that’s what’s most important.”
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- UPDATE: Crews free stuck cargo ship