Campus police now making changes after shootings near ODU
Norfolk, Va. – Police are busy investigating another shooting near the Old Dominion campus.
With two shootings in two weeks just blocks from ODU, campus police are changing up some of their strategies.
Last year, Campus Police Chief Rhonda Harris says they started working with Norfolk police and the city attorney to create a task force to monitor large parties.
Now they’re taking that one step further.
“I don’t want any confusion about who’s the police and who’s not, but we’re going to be incorporating plain clothes into that. We’re going to be going into these houses and seeing firsthand what’s going on inside,” says Harris.
Norfolk police say a man and woman were shot around 1:30 Sunday morning on 41st St. and Killam.
Two weeks before that, another shooting went down at a house on West 41st Street.
While what happened yesterday didn’t involve any ODU students, Harris believes off-campus parties may be drawing in people from outside of the city.
That’s why, she says, they’re monitoring social media and passing along any information to the city attorney.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend