ECSU’s police chief resigns
Elizabeth City, N.C.- The former chief of University Police for Elizabeth City State University, Sam Beamon, handed in his resignation today effective immediately after he was placed on administrative leave.
The university had already named a new interim police chief, John H. Manley, Jr., who took over on May 3. He will remain in this position pending the outcome of an ongoing investigation and until the school finds a permanent campus chief.
The state started to investigate after questions were raised about the handling of an assault and sexual battery complaint at the university.
The man accused, Anthony Butler, Jr., was supposed to be doing security at the university when he was charged with breaking or entering, sexual battery and assault on a female in two separate incidents at Butler Hall involving the same student.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million
- Owner of Chesapeake nail salon shot during robbery