Multi-million dollar contract approved for USS Porter repairs
The USS Porter could soon be getting back in action.
A multi-million dollar contract has been approved.
Nearly 50 million dollars will go to the porter to improve and mend it.
Crews at BAE systems Norfolk ship repair will do the work.
You may remember a huge gash was left in the ship after it collided with an oil tanker in the Straits of Hormuz late last summer.
No one was hurt in the crash but as you can see the porter was badly damaged.
The navy says it wants the USS porter back to the fleet by april 1, 2014.
By that time, it should be conducting trials and training when it moves to its new homeport in Rota, Spain.
Related:Submit Your Photo
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Bullying or Fun? Military spouses go to battle over "Dependa" on Facebook
- Wait -- they found a gun hidden WHERE?!
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations
- UPDATE: Woman caught on camera stealing from baby's grave explains why she did it