Multi-million dollar contract approved for USS Porter repairs
The USS Porter could soon be getting back in action.
A multi-million dollar contract has been approved.
Nearly 50 million dollars will go to the porter to improve and mend it.
Crews at BAE systems Norfolk ship repair will do the work.
You may remember a huge gash was left in the ship after it collided with an oil tanker in the Straits of Hormuz late last summer.
No one was hurt in the crash but as you can see the porter was badly damaged.
The navy says it wants the USS porter back to the fleet by april 1, 2014.
By that time, it should be conducting trials and training when it moves to its new homeport in Rota, Spain.
Related:Submit Your Photo
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time
- Father and son among three arrested in Kitty Hawk drug investigation
- Family, friends gather to remember two girls killed in Ahoskie fire; two others injured
- South Carolina mother drives van filled with kids into ocean