Commanding officer of USS Porter relieved of command
Norfolk, Va. – Rear Adm. Dave Thomas, Commander, Naval Surface Force, Atlantic, relieved Cmdr. Martin Arriola, the commanding officer of the Norfolk-based guided-missile destroyer USS Porter, today, due to loss of confidence in Arriola’s ability to command.
The relief occurred during an on-going COMNAVSURFLANT investigation into the collision of Porter with the Panamanian flagged tanker M/V Otowasan Aug. 12, near the Strait of Hormuz. Arriola has been reassigned to Naval Surface Force, Atlantic.
Porter is now commanded by Cmdr. Dave Richardson, the former executive officer of USS McFaul, who will serve as a permanent relief.
The ship is currently undergoing repair in Jebel Ali, United Arab Emirates.Submit Your Photo
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- Woman's body found on Yorktown Beach
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight