Post-Sandy trash collection in Hampton Roads
Trash Collection in Hampton Roads:
York County’s curbside recycling collection was cancelled Monday, but will resume its regular schedule on Tuesday.
The Waste Management Center closed at 2 p.m. Monday, but is open Tuesday with hours of 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. for all operations with the exception of the VPPSA Compost Facility that will operate from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Regular Waste Collection Schedule to Resume on Tuesday
Virginia Beach Public Works Waste Management will resume waste collection on Tuesday morning, October 30, with its normal collection schedule.
With the unusually large amount of debris expected, it is important that residents be aware of the following:
• At this time, normal City garbage and recycling collections (black and blue carts) are scheduled to resume Tuesday, October 30, and will follow normal waste collection schedules as much as possible. If your waste is not collected on your normally scheduled day, please leave the waste at the curb and it will be collected as soon as possible.
• Woody debris should be stacked in 4x4x4 piles, and leaves and grass should be in clear plastic bags and left at the curb.
• Clear plastic bags of loose yard debris should be no more than 25 lbs. and should be placed at the curb for pickup. Do not mix the bags with woody debris.
• Construction debris, such as lumber, siding, roofing, etc. must be handled by private contractor or resident and will not be collected by the City.
• Furniture and appliances damaged by the storm will be collected curbside. A bulky item request is required. Routine requests, however, are temporarily suspended so that crews can accommodate storm damage as a first priority.
• The Virginia Beach Landfill, 1989 Jake Sears Road, off Centerville Turnpike, will be open at normal business hours from 7 am to 4:30 pm Tuesday through Saturday.
For questions or additional information, please contact Waste Management at 757-385-4650, or go to our website at: http://www.vbgov.com/publicworks.
WASTE MANAGEMENT/CONVENIENCE CENTERS: The landfill and convenience centers will be open for normal hours on Tuesday, October 30.
Solid waste collections for the week will be delayed TWO days (i.e., Monday’s collections will be made on Wednesday, Tuesday’s on Thursday, Wednesday’s on Friday, and Thursdays’ on Saturday.) This includes garbage, recycling and bulk waste.
Monday’s trash collection will be picked up on Wednesday; Tuesday’s collection will be rescheduled for Saturday.
Dare County Public Works has cancelled garbage collection for today (Tuesday, October 30).
Kitty Hawk commercial trash collection is scheduled for Wednesday and residential collection is scheduled for Thursday.
- Update: Police officer kills man at Norfolk Wells Fargo; deceased suspect identified
- Mom forces bullying daughter to don thrift store threads
- Man shot and killed after pinning James City County police officer between cars
- At least 24 killed in mammoth tornado; more bodies expected
- Virginia Beach man charged with wife's murder