VDOT to announce new closure plans after weekend traffic troubles
VDOT will announce new plans to perform necessary maintenance on the James River Bridge and the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel Friday morning at their Virginia Beach Transportation Operations Center.
The news conference comes after VDOT’s decision to close both bridges simultaneously last weekend caused traffic backups that left many people in traffic for up to seven hours.
Meanwhile, VDOT has been running radio advertisements apologizing for the weekend traffic snarl, saying, “We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this past weekend’s road closures caused.”
According to VDOT officials, they are using air time they had purchased to notify drivers of another double crossings closure that was planned for this weekend. However, after the weekend traffic snafu, officials have decided to postpone the work until they can develop a better plan.
“In light of the significant impact to traffic patterns in Hampton Roads caused by the multiple facilities’ closures this past weekend, the Virginia Department of Transportation is suspending all facility closures on the I-64 Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel and the Route 17 James River Bridge,” the announcement said.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Girl receives over 200 stitches in her head after vicious pit bull attack in Newport News
- Slain officer's text messages will be evidence at murder trial
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home