Fire caused by kids cooking french fries in Newport News

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – Crews responded to a fire in the 800 block of Sundown Lane Friday night.

Fire officials said two children were trying to cook french fries in the kitchen when a fire was started.

Crews were called to the scene around 8:15 p.m.

The family will be staying with friends in the apartment complex for the night.

Fire officials said they should be able to return home.