Christmas tree sparks fire in Hampton home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Credit: Hank Courtney

Credit: Hank Courtney

HAMPTON, Va. – A Hampton home was damaged after a Christmas tree sparked a fire early Monday.

Hampton Fire and Rescue units were sent to the home in the 00 block of Fox Grove Drive around 2 a.m.

Crews reporting seeing heavy smoke coming from the back of the house and quickly made an interior attack on the fire.

The fire was contained and extinguished in about 15 minutes. The home sustained heavy smoke and water damage.

The residents were not home at the time of the fire.

Investigators say the fire is accidental appears to have started in a live Christmas tree that was in a bedroom.

The Hampton Division of Fire and Rescue would like to remind everyone to turn your tree lights off before going to bed and water your tree daily.

They also are encouraging residents to abide by the following safety tips:

  • Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
  • Before placing the tree in the stand, cut two inches from the base of the trunk.
  • Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights. “Three feet from the heat”
  • Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
  • Be sure to water the tree daily.
  • Use lights that UL tested and listed. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use make sure you are using the correct ones.
  • Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
  • Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
  • Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving your home or going to bed.