Holiday Helpers: Join us in making the holidays bright for local kids!

Garage behind Norfolk home damaged by fire on Thanksgiving

NORFOLK, Va. – A detached garage behind a Norfolk home was damaged by a fire on Thanksgiving morning.

Norfolk Fire-Rescue crews responded to the home in the 500 block of Suburban Parkway around 10:30 a.m. and found heavy smoke and flames visible.

The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes.

One person was injured and transported to the hospital to be treated. However, the extent of their injuries is unknown.

Norfolk Fire-Rescue Battalion Chief Brian Nichols says the fire appears to be accidental and may have been caused by a heater in the garage.