Family of four escapes Chesapeake apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHESAPEAKE, Va. – A family of four was able to escape from a fire that damaged their apartment in the South Norfolk section of the city.

The call came in just before 7 a.m. Wednesday.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke and flames coming from the first floor of a two-story, multi-family apartment building.

Crews contained the fire to the first floor apartment unit.

It was under control at 7 a.m.

Fire officials say the fire appears to be caused by a malfunctioning kitchen stove.

No one was injured, but the family is displaced.