Kenneth Wright (I), running for Portsmouth Mayor
1. Why are you running for office?
I’m running for office to continue the progress that we’ve made in the City of Portsmouth for the last six years! We’ve improved our finances, and received a Strong AA Credit Rating. We’ve stabilized our Pension Plans (which were on the verge of collapse). We’ve reduced our OPEB Liability from $200 Million down to $30 Million. We’ve built a new Judicial Center, three new Elementary Schools, and a new Behavioral Health Services Building. We’ve made major renovations to our Children’s Museum, Main Library, and currently working on our Seawall. We’ve completed the development of Victory Crossing (former Tower Mall) and Mid-City Shopping Center. We’ve made major investments in our Parks & Recreation with the Skate Park (in Cradock), Splash Park (Westbury), the new Portsmouth Blvd. Sportsplex (Brighton/Prentis Park), and currently remodeling the Cavalier Manor Football & Baseball Fields and installing two new parking lots. We have $160 Million (in private investments) creating 800 New Luxury Apartments in our Downtown Area, and over the last five years we’ve built (or renovated) over 600 Single Family Homes. And finally, our population has increased over the last six years, and last year we had 3,257 new homeowners in Portsmouth!
2. Why should people vote for you?
See the answer to 1 above.
3. What’s your favorite thing about the area you want to represent?
The People!!! Remember, Portsmouth Is For People, All Kinds Of People!!!
4. What is the biggest problem your area is facing, how will you fix it?
The biggest problem facing our area is diversifying our economy and transportation. For the first time in the history of our city, we voted to implement a Women & Minority Own Business Inclusion Policy which will open up our markets, and allow us to focus on areas that are not dependent solely on the military. Also for the first time in the history of our region, the Mayors of Hampton Roads voted to authorize spending $8.3 Billion on nine major transportation projects that will remove the gridlock throughout Hampton Roads!
5. Describe Donald Trump in max 3 words?
Shaking my head!
6. Describe Hillary Clinton in max 3 words?
I’m With Her!
7. What do you do for a living? Why do you do it?
President/CEO of my own company (for the last 16 years). I love making a difference, and helping others.
8. You’re going to be marooned on a tropical island for a week, you can only bring 1 thing – what is it?
9. What do you think of Colin Kaepernick?
I think he’s a brave young who wants to be valued by our society. Like most young men of color, Colin feels our government hasn’t focused on issues that are effecting them or their future. I agree 100%!
10. Would you vote to fund light rail expansion in your area?
11. Will you respect the outcome of the election?
12. Favorite TV Show?
The Rachel Maddow Show!