Visitors can once again cross Wright Memorial Bridge on Outer Banks

OUTER BANKS, N.C. - Drivers are allowed to cross the Wright Memorial Bridge again following Hurricane Matthew.

Access had been limited after the storm, which caused flooding and damage. Part of NC-12 was once again washed away. Construction crews are on scene. Kitty Hawk Mayor Gary Perry says the road will be rebuilt and repaved.

"This was a big shock to everyone we've talked to," said Everett Samford, whose Kill Devil Hills Home was flooded during the storm. He spent the day going through the home and removing wet furniture.

The storm's winds tore of shingles from roofs and siding. "It's pretty devastating for a lot of people," said Steve Boyd, a local contractor.

Restrictions remain for all areas of Hatteras Island. Only residents, property owners, and business owners are allowed to enter the island as of Tuesday morning.

Emergency crews continue to work on areas with standing water, including the causeway between Roanoke Island and Nags Head, and Dogwood Trail in Southern Shores.

Power crews and NCDOT are also on scene trying to restore power and clear roads.