The First Warning Storm Team is keeping a close eye on Hermine. Stay tuned to WTKR for around-the-clock updates.
Expect heavy rain, gusty winds, and dangerous driving conditions overnight and into the day Saturday. If you don’t have to be out, stay indoors especially around high tide times on Saturday. Major Tidal flooding is possible. The high tide times at Sewell’s point are 11:00 am and 11:00 pm on Saturday, and Noon on Sunday.
Tropical Storm Hermine is located inland over southern North Carolina. Dangerous storm surge is expected in the Hampton Roads area tonight and Saturday. Hermine is moving northeast at 22 mph with max sustained winds of 50 mph with higher gusts. This general motion is expected to continue with some decrease in forward speed through Saturday night. On this current track, Hermine should move over northeast North Carolina late tonight and move over the Atlantic Saturday. Hermine will make a turn toward the north on Sunday. Tropical storm force winds can extend outward up to 185 miles.
- Very heavy rainfall.
- We could see 3-6 inches across Hampton Roads and 6-10 inches of rain across northeast North Carolina.
- Strong winds.
- Sustained winds of 50 mph, with higher gusts possible.
- Major tidal flooding, especially around high tide Saturday. High tide at Sewell’s Point is 11:00 am.
- Dangerous storm surge and rip currents.
- Isolated tornadoes…always possible when a storm makes landfall.
- Especially across the North Carolina Outer Banks late Friday night into Saturday.
Current watches and warnings that are in effect:
Tropical Storm Warning in effect for:
- Edisto Beach to Sandy Hook
- Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds
- Chesapeake Bay from Drum Point southward
- Tidal Potomac from Cobb Island eastward
- Delaware Bay
Tropical Storm Watch in effect for:
- North of Sandy Hook to west of Watch Hill
Tornado Watch in effect until 2:00 am for:
- Dare county in North Carolina
Flash Flood Warning in effect until 2:00 am for:
- southeastern Outer Banks Dare county
For weather updates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aprilwx/
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/April_Loveland
Check out the Interactive Radar on WTKR.com: Interactive Radar