Suffolk DMV building briefly evacuated due to gas odor

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Suffolk, Va. – The Suffolk DMV building located in the 200 block of Holladay Street was briefly evacuated Thursday morning due to the report of an odor of gas, Suffolk officials tell NewsChannel 3.

Emergency Communications received the call at 10:19 a.m. and Suffolk Police and Suffolk Fire & Rescue units responded to the scene at 10:23 a.m.

Upon arrival, firefighters detected a very slight odor of gas and secured the gas to the building.

The building was briefly evacuated and firefighters ventilated the building as a precaution, officials say.

It was determined that services would not be affected and DMV management reopened the facility.

A crew from Virginia Natural Gas also responded to the scene.