Job Title: Broadcast IT Engineer
Reports to: VP of Engineering
The primary focus of the Broadcast IT Engineer is to maintain “anything with a plug” in the TV studio. Broadcast television engineering has become a very IT-centric field, so we need candidates with strong IT backgrounds.Purpose/reason for this Position:
Core Job Functions:
- Install new broadcast gear & network equipment in racks and workstations. Run and terminate network, video, RF and control cabling as necessary.
- Install and maintain computers to specifications of local IT manager and Tribune corporate IT department. Attend to 150 local users in both a traditional office environment and stressful real-time broadcast news environment, within the same building. Be able to troubleshoot Windows 7 and Mac OS X workstations, e-mail & printing, and network connectivity, along with Windows and Linux servers.
- Troubleshoot problems in IT-based broadcast production and commercial playback automation systems. Be able to dig through server logs and work with vendors, software developers, corporate engineering, and end users to find causes and remedies for misconfigured or defective systems.
- Assist in day-to-day broadcast operations as necessary to troubleshoot news editing and producing gear, align satellite and microwave feeds, and perform repairs on damaged equipment.
- Assist transmitter engineer on maintenance of two high-power UHF DTV transmitters as necessary. Understand FCC regulations and help station operators keep WTKR and WGNT in compliance thereof.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Participate in on-call rotation with other staff engineers.
Minimum Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
Knowledge of basic electronics, the electronic theory present in television broadcast equipment, and basic troubleshooting ability required. Strong knowledge of TCP/IP networking is a must. Work experience in TV, cable or radio preferred but not required. Must possess a valid State Driver’s License (or be able to get one).
Associates or Bachelors degrees in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science preferred. At least two years work experience preferred.
Good eyesight and manual dexterity for the repair and use of electronic equipment. Ability to lift up to 100+ pounds and climb ladders, as needed. Ability to communicate using headsets.
Statement about Other Duties: The foregoing is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all functions essential to the job for which the employee is responsible, nor an exhaustive list of the minimum requirements and specifications necessary to perform the essential functions, including all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different functions be performed when circumstances change or exigencies require it.
Submit Resume: firstname.lastname@example.org, 720 Boush Street, Norfolk, VA 23510
WTKR-TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer