A news conference was held Thursday morning at 10:04 a.m. to discuss Hurricane Arthur.
Governor Pat McCrory issued the following key statements:
- Primary purpose to protect safety and health of visitors and citizens, be careful so public safety personnel are not put in jeopardy.
- Be prepared for potential power outages, flooding, surges, rip tides.
- Already taking action to make sure everything is prepared or fixed, main issue is safety and health of citizens.
- Storm is close to Wilmington; storm expected to reach OBX by afternoon.
- NC-Highway 12 overwash expected, only 5-10 yards of space with water on both sides, very concerned about this.
- As hurricane moves north, more counties in state of emergency, several counties ready to open shelters.
- Asks that citizens in eastern part of state please listen to media oulets, weather reports, have emergency kits/plans ready.
- Anticipate a beautiful holiday weekend after hurricane passes, Gov. is planning to go to parade this weekend, priority is to recover as quickly as possible.
- Visitor's call center will be open 24/7.
- Hope for the best, pray for best, that the storm clears quickly so we can celebrate our country's independence.
- Stay safe, 'don't put your stupid hat on'.
- You don't need to prove to people the wind/water is powerful by putting yourselves in danger, do your job but protect yourself.