Virginia Beach, Va. (WTKR) – The American Red Cross of Southeastern Virginia wants to make sure every child knows how to swim this summer.
In a region like Hampton Roads surrounded by water, knowing how to swim and be safe in the water is essential.
With that in mind, the Virginia Water Safety Committee of the American Red Cross of Southeastern Virginia is offering free “Learn to Swim” days for children ages 4-12.
“We can get them acclimated to the water, we can teach them about blowing bubbles, we can get them going underwater, maybe getting them to float,” Water Safety Committee Chair Leslie Paul told NewsChannel 3’s Todd Corillo.
The swim lessons will be held the weekend of June 7th and 8th at pools in Virginia Beach, Norfolk and Portsmouth.
The lessons are being offered in memory of Mary Helen Thomas.
The Red Cross describes Thomas as a community pioneer, who promoted water safety and learn-to-swim programs while breaking down racial barriers in the 1960s.
In addition to the free lessons, scholarships for swim lessons and other prizes will be raffled off at each location.
To register for the swimming lessons, call the location of your choice by June 2, 2014.
Saturday, June 7, 2014
- Girls, Inc. | Portsmouth | 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. | 757-673-1176
- Seatack Rec Center | Virginia Beach | 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. | 757-437-4858
- Williams Farm Rec Center | Virginia Beach | 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. | 757-385-2950
- Southside Aquatics Center | Norfolk |12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. | 757-333-3281
Sunday, June 8, 2014
- Norfolk Community Beach Park | Norfolk | 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. | 757-499-5852
- Kempsville Rec Center | Virginia Beach | 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. | 757-474-8492
- Princess Anne Rec Center | Virginia Beach | 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. | 757-426-0022