Disaster Recovery Efforts – Chowan County, North Carolina
Accepting Non-Perishable Food Donations
PNC Bank – 100 S. Broad Street, Edenton
Friendly Check – 1101 N. Broad Street, Edenton
Macedonia Baptist Church – 1004 Macedonia Road, Edenton
Open Door Church – 1255 Haughton Road, Edenton
McDonald’s of Edenton – Virginia Road, Edenton
Accepting Clothing Donations
Please make all clothing donations to the Clothing Closet, 1370 N. Broad Street, Edenton
Accepting Monetary Donations
1. Open Door Church – Edenton –accepting donations and has designated a secure online giving tool. https://opendoor.securegive.com/SG/WebOnline/Home/Index?WO=opendoor
2. Chowan County Interfaith Disaster Relief – Please send your donations to their attention at PO Box 783 Edenton, NC 27932. Be sure to note “storm relief” in the note section of your check.
3. Greater Albemarle Area Red Cross – Donations can be made by visiting redcross.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or texting the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
Contributions can also be sent by mail to: Greater Albemarle Area Red Cross 1409-B Parkview Drive Elizabeth City, NC 27909
4. Fund to help Ashley Bain, the mother of little Gavin Soto, who lost his life in the storm.
5. Macedonia Baptist Church – accepting donations.
6. Edenton-Chowan Chamber of Commerce – PO Box 245 Edenton, NC 27932 – accepting donations.
1. The Shepard Pruden Memorial Library is offering extended computer access for county residents who may need to file online forms and claims.
1. The Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a motion to waive the tipping fees at the Perquimans Chowan Gates (PCG) Landfill/Transfer Station in Belvidere for residential storm debris only. Contractors hauling debris for residents will be required to pay all tipping fees, county residents who haul debris will not be charged. County and Town residents are encouraged to haul debris to the convenience sites located around the County however large amounts of vegetative and storm debris can now be hauled by residents to the PCG Landfill Transfer Station. May 16, 2014 will be the expiration of the tipping fee waiver. Please separate vegetative debris from all other storm debris.
2. North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) is removing vegetative debris that fell in the right-of-way. At this time, DOT is not removing debris that is placed in the right of way that has been removed from private property.
For up to date information on the recovery efforts, please monitor our Facebook pages, twitter account, and websites. Please call the Chamber if you are collecting donations, food, or other items to be included in a list of the relief efforts.