IKEA expands recall of children’s lamps due to strangulation hazard
IKEA is recalling about 3.5 million children’s wall-mounted lamps in the United States and 30.2 million worldwide due to a strangulation hazard, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Children can become entangled in the electrical cord that hangs from the children’s wall-mounted lamps, posing a strangulation hazard, the CPSC reports.
This recall involves IKEA children’s wall-mounted lamps sold in various style names, shapes and colors. The lamps have a cord, about 7 to 8 feet long with either a switch on the cord or a switch located on the lamp.
A 15-month-old baby became entangled in the TASSA NATT lamp’s cord and nearly strangled. This incident, and the death of a 16-month-old baby who died after getting entangled in the SMILA lamp’s cord, were reported in a previous recall. In both incidents, which occurred in Europe, the lamp cord was pulled into the crib by the infants.