Man takes action to save two boys from burning Norfolk home

“Crying, nose running, eyes red,” says Jamar Moore, describing the two young boys he helped rescue from a burning Norfolk home Tuesday. “They were terrified. They were terrified.”

Two terrified little boys were trapped in an upstairs room Tuesday evening as smoke engulfed the home’s first floor. Norfolk firefighters say it was thanks to a stranger, Jamar Moore for taking action to help rescue the boys.

“From the corner up there, I was coming up the street,” Moore says. “I smelled the smoke first.”

Once Moore saw the kids waving for help, he says there was no time to wait for firefighters.

“I was like ‘look, just jump and I swear I got you.’ And I did,” he says. “And I feel good.”

Crews were called out to the home on Chapel Street just before 5 p.m. In all, three were rescued: a 19-year-old on the first floor and the two young boys upstairs.

“That gives me chills,” says Sharon Whitehead, who says she’s the grandmother of the three who were saved.

Whitehead showed up to the home a little after Moore left. Moore had never met the family he helped.

“I’m grateful to whoever this guy is,” she says. “I’m really grateful to whoever he is.”

The two boys were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation, but are expected to be OK. Whitehead says it’s all thanks to the stranger who stopped to help.

“I would say thank you Jesus and give him a big hug,” Whitehead says. “Thank you.”

“I cried for a little while but I feel real good about it, I really do,” Moore says. “I had no choice. I couldn`t stand there and do nothing.”

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 14,825 other followers