It’s Foodie Friday – and today, it’s all about “Men Who Cook”.
Norfolk, Va. – Primeplus Norfolk Senior Center’s fifth annual “Men Who Cook,” Hampton Roads premiere amateur chef competition, is from 6 p.m. to 9 a.m. on Saturday, March 29 at the Norfolk Plaza Hotel on Monticello Avenue in Norfolk.
This is a food-filled evening with 25 two-man teams of local amateur chefs competing against each other for the title of Top Chef.
There is also music, dancing, and a silent auction. All proceeds go to Primeplus Norfolk Senior Center's nutrition program, which serves 1,000 hot, home cooked meals for seniors each month.
6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday, March 29
Norfolk Plaza Hotel on Monticello Avenue in Norfolk
Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples and Pecorino Cheese
* Juice + zest of 1 lemon
* 1 tablespoon light olive oil
* 2 teaspoons clover honey
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallot
* 3 cup Brussels sprouts, core and outer leaves removed then thinly sliced
* 1 cup diced apple
* 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons finely grated pecorino romano (reserve the 2 tablespoons for garnish)
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, mustard, kosher salt and black pepper. Add the sliced shallots, stir well, and set aside.
2. Place sliced Brussels sprouts into a serving bowl. Before combining the Brussels sprouts and dressing, make sure the thin slices of Brussels sprouts are well shredded and pulled apart. Remove any hard or large pieces of Brussels sprouts.
3. Once done, add the dressing to the Brussels sprouts. Stir in the diced apples and pecorino. Toss well to combine.
4. Finish the salad with a little more pecorino and serve.