UPDATE: Mom charged, fugitive son arrested after morning standoff in Newport News

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Newport News, Va. - A wanted fugitive has been arrested after an early-morning standoff in Newport News.

Police arrested 36-year-old Ralph Lloyd Ledford, Jr. of the 1000 block of Berkshire Drive. He is now in the custody of the Newport News City Jail. He is charged with burglary and assault and battery of a family member.

Left: Beverly Hayes. Right: Ralph Lloyd Ledford, Jr.

Left: Beverly Hayes. Right: Ralph Lloyd Ledford, Jr.

Ledford's mother, 59-year-old Beverly Hayes was charged with obstruction of justice in connection with her son's arrest, police say. She has been released.

It happened around 2:20 a.m. on Friday, March 21, 2014. Police arrived at the 1000 block of Berkshire Drive in the Kiln Creek neighborhood, to serve arrest warrants to 36-year-old fugitive, Ralph Ledford, Jr.

Ledford, who was wanted on charges of burglary and assault and battery on a family member out of West Point, refused to come out.

The tactical team was called around 3:30 a.m. and Ledford willingly came out of the house at 5:20 a.m.

Ledford became non-compliant with officers in the front yard and was shot with a bean bag gun. He was then taken into custody.

Ledford’s mother, who was also in the home, was not hurt. She has been charged in connection with her son's arrest.

Stay with NewsChannel 3 for additional updates.


  • beverly

    Mr. Ledford was compliant with the police officers. He was shot with what could have been lethal force. All this was predicated on a lie that was used by the family member. Mr. Ledford was supposed to start official visitation with his 2 little girls on Friday at 8:00 pm until 8:00 pm sunday. He had already set up a Sunday fun dare with cousins that had not seen each in four years. Mr. Ledford had not seen his kids in over 5 months. He had told numerous people that he was looking forward to this for a long time.

    • beverly

      You know I have always tried to be very respectful of police. But they come to your house at 2:20 am and show no identification and have not warrant what so ever and call in a tactical team for what. Then on top of that people get shot. If the police office had warrant or were threatened in anyway maybe. But your carrying on a conversation with them and you can asked to see a warrant. The man was handicap and this was told to the police when the tactical force was there. Where is the fair reporting at

Comments are closed.