Beach Walmart evacuated after gas leak
A Virginia Beach Walmart in the 600 block of Phoenix Drive has been evacuated after a gas leak on Friday morning.
A carbon monoxide detector alerted staff around 7:45 a.m.
Fire crews arrived and evacuated the building. They found carbon monoxide levels between 75 and 100 parts coming from the structure.
They secured an HVAC rooftop unit at 8:15 a.m. and they believe it to be the primary source of the leak.
Walmart’s corporate headquarters have been notified.
The staff onsite were able to override their regional controls to help the fire department isolate the HVAC unit.
Ventilation began at 9:00 a.m. with the hope that within an hour they could get the CO levels low enough to confirm that they isolated the only source.
At this time levels are still reading about 35 to 55 depending the section of the building are in.
They say it will be at least another hour before the building will be cleared all the way out.