Dog dies, family of six displaced in Chesapeake house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Chesapeake, Va. – A family of six is without a home and a dog has died after a fire broke out inside of a Chesapeake home on Tuesday.

This happened in the Deep Creek section of the city.

Firefighters were called out to the scene in the 3200 block of Sir Meliot Drive at around 8:24 p.m.

They arrived seven minutes later and found heavy smoke coming from the one-story home.

They were able to get the fire under control just before 9:20 p.m.

They say the cause of the fire is unattended cooking.

Two dogs were inside at the time. One died and the other was rescued.

No one else was injured and the family is now staying with relatives in the area.