Who is exempt from red light camera tickets?
Not all drivers will receive tickets for running red lights at intersections where there are red light cameras. But, some drivers will receive disciplinary action resulting from running that red light – NewsChannel 3′s Laurie Simmons explains:
Red light tickets are not issued to emergency vehicles, including fire trucks; ambulances; and police vehicles with sirens on.
Funeral processions with police escorts are also exempt from red light camera tickets. Others who are exempt include drivers who have out-of-country license plates; and those who have temporary license plates.
City and government vehicles are also exempt. That includes VDOT or DMV vehicles. (This includes state and local vehicles.) However — an amendment was made to the state code a few years ago, stating that a city, state, or county government or governmental agency can get the red light camera information from the vehicle which ran the red light — and use that information to possibly take disciplinary action against that employee driver.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified