Parents devastated after 5-month-old baby dies in Beach daycare

Posted on: 6:54 pm, February 25, 2014, by , updated on: 02:56pm, February 26, 2014

Virginia Beach, Va. – Virginia Beach mom Amanda Holland dropped her son Nycau off at daycare Monday morning. Just hours later her baby was dead.

“It’s such a surreal feeling to hold your baby for the last time and you know that they’re already gone,” Holland says.

Monday afternoon, Holland says she got a call from Brenda Payton, who owns a home daycare facility on Capstone Crossing. Holland says Payton told her that her son was unresponsive.

“He was just fine,” Holland says. “I was just holding him that morning. There was nothing wrong with my child.”

Holland raced to be with Nycau. Beach police say paramedics performed CPR on him and rushed the baby to the hospital

For 45 minutes Holland says doctors tried to save her son, but there was nothing they could do.

Nycau ‘s father Frank Turner watched, helpless.

“I couldn’t do anything but run to him and told him to wake up, wake up,” Turner says. “I just kissed him like 100 times because I knew that was the last time I was going to see him.”

Nycau was pronounced dead just before 2:15 Monday afternoon.

NewsChannel 3 went to the home daycare. We spoke with Brenda Payton’s husband, who says Brenda has been a childcare provider for more than 20 years and she is devastated this happened.

Beach police are investigating. So far, no charges have been filed against employees at the daycare and police say there are no indications of foul play.

“I just would’ve loved to watch him grow up,” Holland says.

“I don’t wish that on nobody,” Turner says.

• Disgusted says:

If there are no indications of foul play, why add to the family’s grief by putting this in the paper? Journalist really are scumbags.

• Williams says:

My heart goes out to the family ,,especially the mother .. being a mother myself I don’t know what I would do if something happen to one of my children…this is horrible.. to many deaths are taking place at daycare… who’s responsible? and when is there going to be penalties to pay?

• Mike Mitchell says:

Williams this tragedy happens and all you can think about is pointing fingers I want to see your data about all of these deaths happening at daycares I can see if they happened at one daycare in particular bug please you can’t blame this on day cares this probably would have happened daycare or not the autopsy will hopefully give the parents an idea of what happened it could be a case of SIDS bug until we know please do nog point fingers because when you do you are just as bad as the journalist who will not let this family have any privacy

• linda hoffa says:

There have been a lot of reports about children dying or abused in daycares lately. Williams isnt blaming he is stating an observation.

• Tira says:

Perhaps it seems a lot of deaths are happening at daycare because so many children are IN daycare nowadays. Babies have died from SIDS and other reasons unexpectedly at home for hundreds of years. But since parents are forced to have to use daycare it happens there instead of at home.

• Meranda says:

So very sad, I feel for this family, to know that they are in the worst imaginable pain and have to deal with an investigation.

• iqdou says:

what a horrible nightmare.

• Kelli says:

My heart goes out to this family. My husband and I lost our 8 month old in 2010 while she also was at a sitters. My sincerest wishes and prayers for comfort are sent their way.

• Brandy says:

I agree Meranda. I feel horrible for the family, and my heart breaks for them. but I also think that people should NOT point fingers at this daycare provider until we know the entire story. Foul play is NOT suspected. more then likely it was just something like SIDS. Perhaps some sort of virus or infection nobody was aware of. it just bothers me that some people are so upset with the provider and ready to hang her from the gallows :( Think for a moment that what happened, she had nothing to do with, and probably would of happened wherever the child was that day, whether with her, at home with mom, other family, another provider. So honestly, my heart goes out to the provider as well. I am sure she is upset about what happened. Prayers to both families

• Daniel Greer says:

There is something to be said about publishing this story.
    As a parent of a ten year old and a baby due anyday now, a tragedy like this should remind us all to show our children even more love and to tell them even more often that we love and cherish them. Hold them even more often. We are not guaranteed one more second on this earth. My heart and prayers go out to this family and all involved. May a multitude of angels surround them and give them strength and dry their tears.

• Sanah Lyles says:

This wonderful child is with God now, praying for the family for strength during this difficult time.

• Deborah Fochler says:

I am just so sorry for all. Horrible thing to have to endure. I lost my daughter in 1995 and it seems like yesterday. Prayers and love to all.

• I would bet money that it is vaccine related.

• We just lost a baby in September. My grand daughter. My daughter has since met another couple who suffered the same loss and they have become fast friends. Only people who have suffered a loss like this can understand it and I pray for this couple and I hope God puts in their path someone that understands so they can support each other.
    I know their pain and helplessness. A good little book is “Good Grief”. It is small and simple and explains the different stages of grief. It helped me by letting me know what I was going through is normal and I am not crazy. Also, people are going to say stupid things in an effort to help or they will say nothing at all because they don’t know what to say. Ignore all this. They don’t mean any ill will. I will pray for your family.

• steve says:

My knee-jerk reaction was that this shouldn’t have ben reported unless wrongdoing became known but the family photos suggest that the family is OK with it. Perhaps the daycare center should have not been named.

• Betty says:

Wow. Some people can just be mean, news is news and they are only.doing their jobs, people would complain if something isnt in the news and people complain what is in the news, just get over it, if you dont want to read about stuff, dang, dont pick up a paper or a computer. Sometimes it good to have stuff in the news because sometimes that is how people find out about other people that can be a supporter of the other people, my heart goes out to that family, losing a child is the hardest thing, we nlost our granddaughter on easter sunday 2012, and to this day, it still hurts. So my prayers go out to this family

• maria regina says:

this should be personal not fodder for tv/news.