Caretaker arrested for 77-year-old woman’s murder
According to the Medical Examiner’s office, 77-year-old Gertha Curry was starved, dehydrated, and neglected to death.
In September, Curry’s body was found inside her home on Ashlawn Drive. Investigators now believe it was 51-year-old India Valentine who was responsible, who was responsible for taking care of Curry.
On February 14th, Valentine was arrested and charged with Curry’s murder.
“It’s sad,” says Ellen Greene, who lives next door. “It’s just sad.”
Neighbors say Valentine lived inside the apartment with Curry along with several other elderly and mentally challenged adults. Police tell NewsChannel 3 that Valentine was never licensed to be a caretaker.
Another woman who lived at the apartment says she worked there with Valentine, also as a caregiver. She didn’t want to comment on this story.
“They are not being taken care of like they should.”
A neighbor across the street, who didn’t want to be named, says he’s been inside the apartment where Curry lived.
“It wasn’t clean, it wasn’t wholesome, it wasn’t up to par,” he says. “You could sometimes smell a stench, an odor.”
Valentine is behind bars at Norfolk City Jail. Police are not releasing a motive at this time.
- Cargo ship runs aground in high winds off Virginia Beach
- UPDATE: Police identify two children dead after multi-vehicle crash in Sandbridge
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call