Chesapeake family remembers teen who died after collapsing at Hickory High

Posted on: 6:28 pm, February 18, 2014, by , updated on: 06:37am, February 19, 2014

Chesapeake, Va. (WTKR) – A Chesapeake family is remembering their teenage son who died after collapsing at Hickory High School last week.

Michael White, 14, was at soccer conditioning after school Thursday when his dad says he started feeling ill.

“He said he didn’t feel good and they were walking him back for his inhaler and he fell out and I guess his heart stopped then,” Steve White said.

As they prepared to say goodbye, White’s dad, Steve, and sister, Monica, sat down with NewsChannel 3′s Todd Corillo to remember Michael.

“Laughter. Witty. He’s so funny. Like he can make a whole room laugh, it just came natural. Natural funniness,” Monica commented.

“He was confident in himself. He was happy with himself. He loved his family. Every time we got off the phone he’d say ‘Love you,’” Steve said.

They remembered Michael as a boy who was always surrounded by friends, did well in school and who was kind to everyone.

“He would pick the kid that was probably the worst pick for basketball or whatever sport they were playing in gym because he didn’t want to leave him out,” Steve explained.

Steve White believes a lifelong peanut allergy may be to blame for his son’s death.

“I think that he thought he wasn’t allergic anymore because he was so big and tough but I think that’s what it was,” he said.

As she sat with her younger brother at the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughter, Monica White says she prayed constantly.

“Touched his hand. Kissed his hand. ‘Come on bud. You’ll be alright bud. You’ll be alright,’” she recalls.

When he slipped away Friday, his parents made the decision to donate White’s organs and give the gift of life.

“The only sense that could come from this is to answer the dreams – I mean someone is sitting out there, some parent is sitting out there, praying and crying and wishing that their child could have life given back to them,” Steve White said.

Michael White will be laid to rest in Chesapeake on Wednesday.

• ray says:

Very said story.. seems Micheal was a great kid with a family who cared so much and we’re very close nit. My condolences to the White family and all their close friends. The choice the parents made to give the gift of life is to someone else is amazing.

• ray says:

Very sad… sorry for the typo

• Heswatching says:

I am so touched that I dont know to write, but I wanted you to know I am praying for you all. I will never ever forget Michael without even knowing him.

• temeeka says:

Stay strong guys…my heart goes out to the family

• Diane Craddock says:

I’ll keep ALL of Michael’s family and friends in my thoughts and prayers! May God provide comfort and peace for everyone touched by the death of this precious young man.

• Shelbi Snowdon says:

This is so sad but also a happy moment because he saved many lives and changed many lives! I am so very sorry for his family and friends and I am praying for ease for all of you :( 💔

• Carl D says:

That is so sad…no parents should HAVE to bury their child—EVER!

• momof2 says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to Michael’s family. I’m so very sorry for your loss.

• MJP says:

So sad, my thoughts and prayers go out for Michael and his family.

• Krista parks says:

So incredibly sad! My middle daughter goes to HHS and is a senior. Though she didn’t know Michael, she was deeply saddened by this. I work as a respiratory therapist at a local hospital. You’re decision to donate Michael’s organs makes my smile. I know the decision was difficult, but I see the other side of that decision. It’s the most selfless decision a parent can make. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. God bless you all!

• Hunter Mitchell says:

I’m so sorry to hear this…..I knew him a few years ago, and I’m just shocked and sad to find out this way. My condolences to the White family….God bless him, and the Whites.