Bataan Amphibious Ready Group leaves Hampton Roads on deployment
Norfolk, Va. – More than 4,000 sailors and marines serving in the Bataan Amphibious Ready Group and the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit from Camp Lejeune, N.C. left Hampton Roads Saturday on a regularly scheduled deployment.
The Bataan ARG is comprised of the USS Bataan, USS Mesa Verde, USS Gunston Hall.
They pulled out of port at Naval Station Norfolk Saturday and are headed to the Navy’s 5th and 6th Fleet areas of operation.
While deployed, they’ll be supporting maritime security operations, crisis response, theater security operations and providing a forward naval presence.
USS Bataan and USS Mesa Verde are both homeported at Naval Station Norfolk. USS Gunston Hall is homeported at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story, Va.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- One person rushed to hospital after double shooting in Virginia Beach
- USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group returns home
- Norfolk resident: 'They had my little stepson on the ground with the gun to his head'