NewsChannel 3 Investigation: What happens after cold case murder arrests?
When police solve a long-cold murder, there’s reason for celebration.
They’re the toughest cases to crack and a cold-case arrest can bring closure to families who have waited years for justice.
But what happens after the arrests? NewsChannel 3 tracked 36 men charged with cold-case murder in the past 10 years.
Court records show more than a third of them have murder charges dropped, dismissed or reduced to something else.
Our investigation will break down the prosecutions city by city, and we’ll reveal which police department hasn’t solved a single cold case murder case in the past 10 years.
This NewsChannel 3 investigation is tonight at 5.
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- Woman's body found on Yorktown Beach
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million