Mom found passed out in vehicle with 7-year-old son inside
A 36-year-old mother in Newport News was found passed out behind the wheel of a running vehicle early Saturday morning. Her 7-year-old son was in the passenger seat.
Newport News Police say an officer patrolling in the area of Denbigh Boulevard and Oriana Road spotted a car parking halfway on the curb facing the wrong way on Oriana Road.
As the officer approached, he saw that the driver appeared to be passed out behind the wheel and the engine was still running. He also spotted the child in the front seat.
After a number of field sobriety tests, 36-year-old Lovely Leshia Jackson was arrested and charged with one count each of driving under the influence of alcohol 2nd offense, reckless driving and felony child neglect.
Child Protective Services was notified and the child was placed in the care of the suspect’s boyfriend.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend