Porch collapses onto gas meter in Portsmouth
Portsmouth, Va. - A more than 15-year-old roof collapsed at a Lakeview Circle home on Friday morning.
The 72-year-old homeowner and his wife were just lying in bed talking when they heard the crash.
Some Thursday afternoon sunshine in Hampton Roads may have helped clear off some roadways, but Rufus Strothers, Sr. Believes it caused the snow on his back patio roof to become too heavy to handle at 5 a.m.
Strothers says he jumped up when he heard the sound and he came out, opened the door and found a mess.
Because of the leak, firefighters were forced to turn off the gas leaving him and his family without heat for more than five hours.
For someone dealing with such an inconvenience, Strothers still had a positive attitude.
Strothers says he’s not quite sure how he’s going to clean the mess up, but insurance will cover it. He does plan to have a new roof put on.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified