Commercial building catches fire in Portsmouth
Portsmouth, Va. – A commercial building on High St. caught on fire Saturday evening.
Firefighters were called to the scene around 6:30 p.m.
There was heavy smoke coming through the roof when they arrived.
The structure had three buildings attached to each other. Firefighters say it was boarded up and had not been used in a while, even though the front facade had been replaced in the last year.
Crews are not going inside for safety reasons until daylight Sunday. No word yet on the cause.
- UPDATE: Two girls die after crash in Sandbridge, five others hospitalized
- UPDATE: Cargo ship runs aground in Virginia Beach; crews to start salvage plan Friday
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call