Norfolk, Va. – Last night, at 5:00 PM, Norfolk Fire and Rescue responded to a call of a 3 year old boy who fell into a backyard fire pit. The incident happened in the Crossroads neighborhood on the 7000 block of Clarion Lane.
Family members said the child was running around like normal when he suddenly fell into the pit. The fire had stopped burning at this point but the hot coals were still hot enough to cause burns to his face, legs and forearms.
Neighbors say that the boy was being supervised by plenty of adults at the time. The grandmother says that it was just a sad freak accident.
The toddler was transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. He was later transferred to the Burn Center at the Shriner’s Hospital for Children in Cincinnati for further treatment.
The family does not know how much longer the toddler will have to remain in the hospital at this time.
Watch WGNT and WTKR this evening as we bring you more on this developing story.