Norfolk police need assistance in thefts of older model vehicles
Norfolk, Va. – Police are asking for the public’s help in locating stolen vehicles. They say the vehicles are older models, and are searching for any information regarding the crimes.
According to police, the top five vehicles stolen are primarily manufactured prior to 1997 and described as follows:
1. Oldsmobile (Cutlass Ciera)
2. Buick (Century)
3. Chevrolet (Blazer, Monte Carlo)
4. Dodge (Caravan, Dakota)
5. GMC (Sierra, Jimmy)
The suspects are bypassing locks to enter the vehicles, and are attacking ignition wires on steering columns, police say.
Vehicles are primarily stolen overnight and abandoned before they are reported stolen between the hours of 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.
These vehicles have been primarily stolen from single family homes and apartment building parking lots. Various items such as GPS units, radios, or anything of value, are also being taken from these vehicles when they are stolen, police say.
The public is asked to keep all vehicles locked and parked in well lit areas if possible. Any items of value should be removed from the vehicle. Citizens are encouraged to be vigilant and to report any suspicious activity – such as people looking in vehicles or trying door handles – to call the police via 911.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Auto Squad at (757) 664-7174 or Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen