Hertford woman says cat died because of SPCA treatment

Posted on: 11:33 pm, December 6, 2013, by

Dotty Horton thought the SPCA was a safe place for her cat. However, after ten days, Dotty says 13-year-old Gigi was so malnourished that there was no choice but to put her down.

“When the vet came in and gave her the injection, it took her ten seconds,” Dotty says. “That’s how weak she was before she was gone.”

An indoor cat all her life, Dotty says Gigi was not up to date on her rabies vaccine. After nipping the groomer, Gigi was sent to the SPCA of Northeastern North Carolina to be quarantined.

Gigi may have been old, but Dotty says she was a happy and healthy cat.

Dotty says she drove up to the shelter to visit three times, but says she never really got to check on Gigi.

“They wouldn’t let me in to see her or touch her, or hold her,” she says.

On pick-up day, Dotty says Gigi was so dehydrated that she couldn’t even swallow.

“She couldn’t stand up,” Dotty says. “She couldn’t even hold her head to get to the water bowl.”

With no vet office open on the weekend, Dotty says her only option was an on-call emergency vet.

“This is the IV solution that we got from the emergency vet,” Dotty says, holding up the fluid bag to show us.

But on Monday, the vet told Dotty that Gigi had kidney and liver failure. She saw no other choice than to euthanize.

“How can they figure that’s humane to let a cat starve or dehydrate like that,” Dotty asks. “Somebody had to know what’s going on.”

A manager with the SPCA told NewsChannel 3 over the phone that with no vet on staff, it’s difficult to monitor every animal’s health. If there was any concern by the staff, the SPCA says it would have been addressed.

Dotty hopes that what her cat went through will never happen again.

“I don’t want it happening to anybody else because it’s heartbreaking,” she says.

The president of the SPCA of Northeastern North Carolina, Kim Parrish, says it is common for elderly cats like Gigi to be stressed out in a new environment, but if a staff member sees that an animal is not eating, they are required to notify a manager. Parrish did not say if that was done in Gigi’s case.

• Thank you for sharing her story Marissa,hopefully it will help other pets.

• Charlotte W. says:

Owners fault for not getting shots for her pet!

• Angelina McCauley says:

Then that’s like saying that it’s your fault that you got hit and killed by a drunk driver because you drove your car that day!
      This was an INDOOR ONLY cat! Never been outside except to be transported to the vet or groomers. Was NOT a sick cat and weighed about 12 lbs before being taken to the SPCA and then weighed a mere 6 lbs before she died!
      The SPCA was responsible for the care of this cat while at their facility. Sure, maybe she should have been vaccinated, but THAT IS NOT what killed her!

• Lisa says:

You are an idiot…

• Amanda B. says:

The lack of shots didn’t kill this poor cat! It was the lack of care it got while in the care of the SPCA! The SPCA should be held accountable for neglecting this poor cat!

• rose says:

Was she an indoor only cat ??
    Had she been bitten lately ?
    Is it a law that cats need rabies shots ?
    Why could Dotty not visit?
    Come on WTKR report all the info!

• Angelina McCauley says:

She was STRICTLY an indoor pet. My mother had her since she was 6 weeks old, along with her twin sister. No, she was never bitten and was taken regularly to the vet and groomers. It is the law in NC that the cat be vaccinated, but the vet didn’t see the need because she was in indoor cat AND was advancing in age and the groomer had been taking care of all of my mother’s pets for close to 6 years. My mother could visit the cat, which she did 3 times; however, was not allowed to touch or hold the cat. She was in a dark area, the cage was covered with a towel and hiding in the back of the cage, so my mother could not tell if something was wrong with her or not!
      To add insult to injury, they vaccinated GiGi right before my mother picked her up and it says clearly on every bottle DO NOT ADMINISTER TO SICK OR INJURED ANIMALS, yet, they did it anyways.
      I was there, I was with this kitty, and I can tell you that she couldn’t hold her head up, when she tried to move, she fell over. She was so dehydrated that when you lifted up on the scruff of her neck (the skin to check for hydration) that the skin stood up and didn’t go down unless it was pressed back down. Her gums were gray and sticky and she couldn’t swallow at all.
      My mother takes care of ALL of her pets. They go to the vets office, they go to the groomers, they are all loved and adored and treated better than most humans treat their own children!
      Sure, she is responsible for not vaccinating her, but she is NOT to blame for what the SPCA clearly allowed to happen to this poor kitty.

• Angelina McCauley says:

• Deria Binetsky says:

I understand how this woman feels to lose a pet. I would like to offer her a new kitten. The kitten will be read in about 9 weeks. If she is interested she can just reply to this message

• If you do have a Netflix account already, that’s great.
    The points site has over 1,000,000 members and thousands of
    people use the site to get free PSN codes, PS3 accessories, PS3 games, even the ps3 itself almost anything from Amazon.
    x to a Nokia N95, which will utilize the internal GPS of the Nokia N95 and about it to function
    as a stand-alone GPS.