Woman accused of abusing, neglecting her 74-year-old mother
Elizabeth City, NC – A woman in Elizabeth City has been charged with domestic abuse, neglect, and exploitation of disabled or elder adults after police say her 74-year-old mother was taken to the hospital.
The mother, Clara Hassell, was admitted to the hospital on November 25th. Albermarle Hospital contacted the Department of Social Services about Hassell who they say was showing signs of neglect and abuse.
Court documents show Hassell had sores all over her body, down to her bones when she as admitted into the hospital.
The police were then contacted about the situation and they started an investigation.
Officials say Darlene Dora Reid, Hassell’s daughter, neglected to provide medical and hygienic care to the 74-year-old.
Reid turned herself in to police and she was given a $10,000 bond and held at ADJ pending court proceedings.
Hassell is still recovering in the hospital.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend