19-year-old woman accused of shooting mother to death in Chesapeake arraigned in court

Posted on: 6:14 am, November 29, 2013, by and , updated on: 07:14pm, December 2, 2013

Chesapeake, Va. – Police are investigating after a daughter reportedly shot her mother to death in their Indian River home.

The initial call about the shooting in the 600 block of Osborn Ave. came in just before 4am Friday morning.

Rachel HutsonOfficers arrived to find 58-year-old Susan Lee Hutson shot to death. Her daughter, 19-year-old Rachel Leigh Hutson, was arrested and has been charged with first degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

Both women lived at the residence.

There’s still no word from police on exactly what led up to the shooting.

Neighbors told NewsChannel 3 they never saw it coming and the Hutsons seemed like a happy family.

“Everything looked OK. They were always out there having a good time. They stayed to themselves. I never saw anything unusual,” a neighbor says.

NewsChannel 3 will post more updates as they become available.

• rose says:

What was the felony ?

• Lanie Tobias says:

Rose- I believe the felony on which they are speaking of would be murder. Just a thought… Prayers to everyone that loves this family. This is very, very tragic & sad.

• Lexa says:

This girl was my best friend in high school. I can’t believe this happened…. on my birthday too.

• Alyssa says:

Can’t believe this happened. I grew up with Rachel & was very close with her. Our contact stopped when we reached high school. It’s still shocking to wake up & see that someone you grew up with killed their mom.

• Darla says:

Strange………wonder what happened?

• Leah says:

This is just shocking. I met rachel some time ago and she was my friend.I cant believe this happened. I wonder what caused this to go that far.

• Lexa says:

Rachel was one who needed a friend to talk to. When we were close friends I would always help her out and she’d do the same. Maybe she didn’t have a friend at the time to help her out.

• Shocking. I went to school with her, ate lunch with her every day. Never thought she would do something like this, but I don’t know the circumstances, and it’s not my place to judge.

• Brynna says:

I went to high school with her as well. A sweeter kid you’d never meet. She gave hugs to everybody like she had no clue how NOT to be an enormously loving person. I really think there’s a lot more to this story than anyone is telling us. There’s no way this happened cut and dry like that.

• Jessica says:

Rachel wouldn’t do something like that!!! I don’t believe it… There HAS to be more to the story…. She was one of my few close friends back in high school. She was always smiling, happy, and completely hyper but that’s what we loved about her. Rachel is the type of person who’d risk her life to save a turtle in the street. Pretty sure she’s done that quite a few times actually. There’s no way that’s all that happened.

Team3_1b-80