NewsChannel 3 honors woman hosting Ft. Eustis soldiers for Thanksgiving
Andrea Stalnik likes to rescue things – lizards, birds, and even people. Everyone is family.
“Everybody needs a home and everybody needs love,” she says.
When the USO asked her to host eight Fort Eustis soldiers this Thanksgiving – double what she signed up for – she didn’t hesitate to say yes, even if that meant another trip to the supermarket.
“I only have ten pounds of potatoes so I need another ten pound bag,” she told us.
Little did Andrea know, we did a little shopping for her.
Ham, potatoes, pumpkin pie, and anything else it takes to feed an Army – literally.
NewsChannel 3 picked up the $299 tab and presented Andrea with a $100 gift card from our community partner, Southern Bank, and an exclusive People Taking Action pin.
“Wow, that’s awesome! I was not expecting anything like that,” Andrea said.
It’s an unexpected gift for a woman who provides a feast for a group of soldiers who will walk into her home as strangers and leave as family.
“I don’t see it as giving back. I just like to help people. I volunteer when I can. It means a lot to me for ya’ll to help out like this. It’s just awesome,” she says.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified