Skeletal remains found in Elizabeth City
Elizabeth City, N.C. – On Monday, investigators found what they believe to be skeletal remains of a human being, as well as personal belongings, in a wooded area in Elizabeth City, police tell NewsChannel 3.
It happened on Monday, November 18 at 10:00 a.m. The Elizabeth City Police Department was dispatched to the wooded section between Robert Sawyers Garage and Knobs Creek Bridge, on US 17 North Road Street. Police say that’s where the skeletal remains of a person were found by a Department of Transportation worker.
Officers and investigators found the skeletal remains about 100 feet off the roadway from North Road Street.
Along with the remains, police found personal items – including clothing, personal hygiene products, and medications. Identification linking the individual to Pennsylvania was also found, police say.
The body appears to have been deceased for several months, to the point of decay, which makes it unidentifiable until further testing can be conducted.
Investigators in Elizabeth City and Pennsylvania are conducting interviews and seeking information as to the identity of the remains.
An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. The Elizabeth City Police Department will provide no further comment on the discovered remains until an identity can be made.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- Girl receives over 200 stitches in her head after vicious pit bull attack in Newport News