Skeletal remains found in Elizabeth City
Elizabeth City, N.C. – On Monday, investigators found what they believe to be skeletal remains of a human being, as well as personal belongings, in a wooded area in Elizabeth City, police tell NewsChannel 3.
It happened on Monday, November 18 at 10:00 a.m. The Elizabeth City Police Department was dispatched to the wooded section between Robert Sawyers Garage and Knobs Creek Bridge, on US 17 North Road Street. Police say that’s where the skeletal remains of a person were found by a Department of Transportation worker.
Officers and investigators found the skeletal remains about 100 feet off the roadway from North Road Street.
Along with the remains, police found personal items – including clothing, personal hygiene products, and medications. Identification linking the individual to Pennsylvania was also found, police say.
The body appears to have been deceased for several months, to the point of decay, which makes it unidentifiable until further testing can be conducted.
Investigators in Elizabeth City and Pennsylvania are conducting interviews and seeking information as to the identity of the remains.
An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. The Elizabeth City Police Department will provide no further comment on the discovered remains until an identity can be made.
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach