Norfolk-based sailor returns Monday, marries fiancee in Reno airport
A Norfolk-based U.S. Navy sailor returned Monday with the USS Gravely and immediately hopped on a plane to Reno to marry his high school sweetheart.
Dylan Ruffer married Madison Meinhardt at 11:30 p.m. in the terminal of the Reno-Tahoe International Airport.
The airport says the story behind the wedding began three weeks ago when Madison emailed the airport and explained that Dylan would be returned from an extended deployment and they wanted to be married as fast as possible.
But why at the airport? Madison says, “Dylan said he wanted to marry me the moment he set eyes on me.”
With special help from the Washoe County Clerk’s Office, a marriage license was arranged and the community banned together to help plan a wedding and reception while Dylan continued to serve aboard the Gravely in the Mediterranean Sea.
The Eldorado Hotel and Casino donated a wedding cake, limo and Honeymoon Suite while other local businesses provided the food, DJ, photographer, salon services, decorations, flowers and more.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- One person rushed to hospital after double shooting in Virginia Beach
- USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group returns home
- Norfolk resident: 'They had my little stepson on the ground with the gun to his head'