Man indicted in 1973 rape case turns himself in to Isle of Wight Sheriff’s Office
Isle of Wight County, Va. – An Isle of Wight County man was indicted by a grand jury on two counts of rape in “what is probably the oldest case ever to be prosecuted in the county,” according to Capt. Rick Gaddis of the Isle of Wight County Sheriff’s Office.
Danny S. Edwards of Isle of Wight, age 63, was indicted on two counts of rape based on events that allegedly took place in 1973 when the victim was 13 years old.
Officials say the victim had come forward, and after an investigation, Edwards was indicted with the assistance of DNA testing.
Isle of Wight Sheriff’s Office then sought an indictment from the grand jury.
Edwards turned himself in to the Isle of Wight County Sheriff’s Office on Friday, November 15, 2013. He is being held without bond at the Tidewater Regional Jail.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates.
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time
- Father and son among three arrested in Kitty Hawk drug investigation
- Family, friends gather to remember two girls killed in Ahoskie fire; two others injured
- South Carolina mother drives van filled with kids into ocean