Two sailors injured when drone malfunctions, crashes into USS Chancellorsville
(CNN) – Two sailors were hurt when a drone malfunctioned and crashed into a guided missile cruiser off the coast of Southern California.
The sailors were treated for minor burns in the Saturday afternoon incident, said Lt. Lenaya Rotklein of the U.S. Third Fleet.
The ship, the USS Chancellorsville, was testing combat weapons system off the coast of Point Mugu.
The drone was being used to test the ship’s radar tracking when it malfunctioned, veered out of control and struck the cruiser, she said.
The ship suffered some damage and will return to San Diego for assessment.
The Navy is investigating the cause of the malfunction.
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- ‘Little hero’ uses Facetime to save his mom