Les Smith Reports: New poll shows Virginia governor’s race is closer
Just yesterday we told you how Cuccinelli is trailing Democrat Terry McAuliffe by 12 points in the latest Washington Post poll. But a new poll out today shows the race much closer.
The Quinnipiac University poll shows McAuliffe’s lead over Cuccinelli at just four points: 45 percent to 41, with libertarian Robert Sarvis at nine percent.
This poll shows Cuccinelli gaining from this time last month.
The poll also asked what would happen if Sarvis was not in the race.
Then McAuliffe’s lead would be down to two points: 47 percent to 45.
Earlier this week, Les Smith asked Sarvis about playing the role of spoiler, a label he rejects.
“The only way to make your vote valuable is to hold the Republicans and Democrats accountable,” says Sarvis.
This poll is welcome news for Cuccinelli, who said he’s behind and he knows it.
“I’ve been behind before and won. I’ve been outspent in all my campaigns,” says Cuccinelli.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified