61-year-old sexually assaulted in James City County
Williamsburg, Va. - James City County Police are investigating the sexual assault of a 61-year-old woman.
The assault took place on September 14, but was not reported until October 25, NewsChannel 3 has learned.
The victim told a co-worker, who encouraged her to go to the hospital to be tested for sexually transmitted diseases.
The assault happened at an apartment complex in the 4000 block of Midlands Road around 1 a.m. on September 14, 2013.
The victim was there to take out her trash. While getting her trash out of the car, she was grabbed from behind, forced to the ground, and then sexually assaulted.
The suspect ran away from the scene. The suspect is described as a white male. The victim told police that the suspect smelled like cigarettes and was possibly barefoot.
Police say the victim did not live at the complex; she was there only to take her trash to the dumpster.
Police are asking anyone with information to call the crime line at 1-888-lock-u-up.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time
- Elizabeth City's "Operation Double Down" cracks down on illegal drug sales